rel='icon'/> Three Little Baers: Sunrise to Sunset

Monday, May 16, 2011

Sunrise to Sunset



For our anniversary, we awoke before the hotel rooster and drove over to Tongariki Beach to enjoy a sunrise over the moai. It was gorgeous! Surprisingly, there were more tourists at sunrise than we'd seen all week! Despite the 14 or so people, it was eerily silent and just beautiful. I really should thank the makers of iPad and Disney's Jake and the Neverland Pirates for allowing us to take pictures and video! Teague was as happy as a tv coma-induced clam.

Later that morning, we met up with a guide named Diego (not the cartoon character Teague had hoped for) and took a horseback riding tour of the island. The ride began near the coast and took us through the rolling green hills. Two hours into our ride, just about the time the saddles were getting uncomfortable, we stopped at some hidden caves, used many years ago by island inhabitants. The openings were masked by large trees and brush, and had Diego not pointed them out, we'd never have known they were there. Inside were areas for cooking, living and even a space with sunlight to grow herbs. Most of the insides were pitch black, which scared me to death, but luckily our fearless guide kept telling us to keep following the big rock on the left with our hands. You mean the slimy one I keep cracking my head on? I was sure I was going to be mauled by some large sleeping animal. Teague loved it, though! After that, we happily got back on our horses and finished the tour.

The rest of the afternoon was spent on a snorkel trip, which wasn't really as fascinating as they had advertised. We also caught a local school's annual celebration and futbol match.

The best part of the day? Teague was sufficiently worn out. Like an eclipse, it's a seldom occurrence. He told us at dinner that his favorite part of the day was watching the futbol game. I think it may have had something to do with the little local girl he chased around the stands.

Tonto, The Blonde Tornado and The Lone Ranger.


Inside the cave.


Local school event with traditional dance and headpieces.


Intense futbol game.


Sunset.

4 comments:

Nina said...

i am tempted to use that last photo as my screensaver. pure serenity!!! :)

TAVA... said...

Love love LOVE this trip...did you know the Easter Bunny lives there? Have you seen the movie Hop? Anyway, what a magnificent place!!!!!!!!!!

TAVA... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TAVA... said...

Oh, and I'd forgotten how much I liked turquoise and red together....thank you Easter Islanders!