rel='icon'/> Three Little Baers: Beautiful Quito

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Beautiful Quito


We took the teleférico up to the top of the volcano to check out the view.



To the right of us was a large upright garbage can with a dog inside eating trash. Really sets the mood, I think.


Quito and the Galapagos were very high on my "We Must Go Here" list ever since I researched the city extensively for Sean's Olmsted application. We had to choose 10 places we'd like to live, literally anywhere (non-English speaking) in the world, and after endless hours on the internet and pouring through travel books, Quito was one of our top contenders, along with Buenos Aires and Santiago. We ultimately removed it before his final interview, but only because we decided to stick to potable tap water countries. I've been itching to see Ecuador since we arrived in South America.

Stepping off the plane in Quito, we felt the high altitude almost immediately. It's nearly double that of Denver, CO and even walking up several flights of steps caused us to catch our breath more than once. Luckily our kiddo is way more active than average--plenty of time to stop and smell the roses.

First impressions were that it is much less European and much more clean than expected. The city is so spread out, with houses and buildings spilling over mountains and valleys. The people are warm and friendly and the drivers there were exponentially better. Their Spanish took some getting used to, since we speak with a Porteño accent in Buenos Aires. It's kind of like having a Jersey accent in the US, minus the obnoxious fist pumping overly-tanned guido part. Argentines have different words for some Spanish items, which makes it a little confusing. Ex: Strawberry everywhere but Argentina is 'fresa', but Porteños say 'fruitilla' and pronounce it 'frou-tee-sha'.

We packed a lot into our time there, spending two days in the city and one on a day trip a few hours away. Teague's Spanish got a lot of attention and high pitched squeals, since Ecuadorians didn't expect a little blonde gringo to speak it. He enjoyed telling every single person that "we had to move from Arizona to Argentina because someone in Arizona moved into our house." We have explained that it's daddy's job, not our renters, that precipitated the move to Argentina, but for some reason he's stuck on that. Makes for a lot of lost in translation moments.


La Catedral de Quito


Old Town Square


"We live in Argentina because people in Arizona moved into our house..."


Our poor taxi driver got roped into taking this. Six photos later, he actually got all 3 of us and Mary in the shot.


Loved this church.


Clock tower.

6 comments:

Nina said...

It looks amazing!!! :) And while traveling w/ little kiddos is a bit more difficult, it certainly is much MORE entertaining, isn't it? ;) One day we've got to unite T & C!

Karen said...

Great pictures, Mandy! And that is too cute about Teague...he is quite the traveler (and ladies man, it seems). :)

Andrea and Ben said...

Have I ever told you that I think you are living (at least for these 3 years) the life I thought I would live while I was in college? I was going to go to South America and meet a man of non-American (basically he was going to be either European or South American) decent with whom I would spend my days traveling extensively around down there. Have I shared that yet?! This was on my "dream" list of places to discover. ;-)

I love Teague's rendition of why you live in Argentina, of course your renters kicked you out!

kimeileen said...

It's interesting to read about the difference in Quito and Buenos Aires. I remember all those places in Quito and thought BA would be just the same. We also went up to the high mountains and it was hard to adapt!

Our Traveling Circus said...

Andrea, you can head down here any time! I can't help you with the Latin Lover part, but we've got plenty of room and you'll be able to check Argentina and Uruguay off your list.

There are direct flights to BA from Miami several times a day!

PS-South American men (at least here) are the exact opposite of fighter pilots. Ben wins hands-down!!

Our Traveling Circus said...

Kim, it's funny just how different the two places are, but it's the same with Peru and Chile too...all very different than BA. I honestly think the Andes are the dividing line between countries that embrace the US and countries that embrace Europe. (BA being the latter.)

Loved seeing your London and safari pictures. Looks like an awesome trip. Where to next?