rel='icon'/> Three Little Baers: Feliz Aniversario--Un año

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Feliz Aniversario--Un año


On Our Way! We all wore our lucky t-shirts.


A map of our first year of travel.

A year ago we road-tripped from AZ to CO to Graceland and then to visit the cousins in TX. We dropped off our car in Dallas, Teague said goodbye to his 'best buddies' and headed to DFW airport for the long flight down to Buenos Aires.

It has been a busy year full of change. If I'm honest, the transition was a lot more difficult than I had imagined. It is hard to be completely on your own, without the social support of a squadron or the physical support of a military base. However, it's totally worth it to have this experience! Once we got settled and felt like locals instead of tourists, it all fell into place. We have learned so much and have really grown as individuals. There's no place we'd rather be; BA is an amazing city!

So in honor of our first year here, I thought I'd share my Letterman-style lists of favorites and not so favorites.

5 Things I Love:
1. The Weather. It's mild and the sun is always shining.

2. Convenience. Everything is a block or two away. We walk everywhere.

3. Kid-Friendly. Argentines adore children and cater to their every need.

4. Public Transportation. It's fantastic if you don't mind lice or TB.

5. City Parks. They're well maintained with great running trails and playgrounds.


5 Things I Really Miss:
1. A Dryer. Most people don't even have washing machines here, so I shouldn't complain...but it sucks.

2. Wearing my Wedding Rings. Like most big cities, crime is greater than it is in other areas. It's especially bad here due to the economy and 25% inflation. I bought a plain band to wear, but it's just not the same.

3. Free Refills. Small glasses and no refills means that we're always thirsty.

4. American Groceries. Oh what I would do for a visit to a commissary or Safeway!

5. Normal Drivers. The driving here is really bad. Worse than Korea, even.


It's going to be impossible to top this past year, but we have high hopes for what is yet to come. Thanks for sharing in this fantastic journey with us!

9 comments:

Karen H. said...

Happy 1 Year Anniversary! I can't believe it has been a year already. Somehow I don't think I will have the same enthusiasm when I hit my 1 year OK anniversary, expect for it being one year closer to leaving. :)

kimeileen said...

Has it really been a year already?
You summed it up really well.Here's to year two!

Ally said...

You have done so much in 1 year. I am excited to see what year 2 brings :)

Jen said...

You have really packed a lot into a year! We better get started on our list!

I was just cursing my slow German dryer last night, thanks for the perspective.

The Bercks said...

Can you believe it's been a year already? The first year went by fast for us, but the second is going by even faster. Hope you travel to Rio in year two =)

sanctimomious said...

Wow, one whole year down! Looking forward to seeing where you go in the next 12 months!

Megan said...

Great travel chart! You guys have covered some real ground! You've totally sold BA's public transportation- but I do hear you on the American groceries- I am DYING for Trader Joe's and a Chick Fil-A sandwich. One more year....

Andrea and Ben said...

Wow - has it been a year already!!?? What a year! I am so glad you keep the blog and I can follow along on your amazing adventure!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's been a year!! I hope that we get to be half as adventurous in Germany as you've been in BA. I love following your adventures and hope you continue to have many more!
Erin
PS-Still no Safeway in Vail in case you were wondering. Pretty sure it will get built now that we're leaving too.