Last week, I purchased 2 drinks and paid with a small bill. The cashier told me that she had no change and handed me 4 pieces of candy instead. This isn't the first time that I have encountered this scenario. Stale plastic-tasting candy transactions instead of cold hard cash. That just doesn't fly anywhere but Candy Land...and Buenos Aires.
Change is notoriously scarce in Buenos Aires. Many small kiosks and businesses display signs that say "No hay cambio", and they really mean it. Trying to obtain coins for the bus (which requires correct change, of course) or smaller bills is next to impossible. In fact, I've read that in recent years, people are actually hoarding coins and then selling them at a 3-5% increase. Meanwhile, everyone else is searching through couch cushions and under furniture in order to ride the bus to get to work and receive their paycheck, which, upon cashing, will be bills that are too large to spend anywhere.
And the crazy cycle continues.
The latest government 'solution' has been the Subte card, which can be used on city buses and the subway. Much like a debit card, you can add money to the card as needed. Brilliant idea, in theory. But, actually finding a place to purchase said card proved to be very difficult. Sean had to go to 5 different kiosks, 2 subway stations and 3 post offices to obtain a card. Then, of course, those places can't actually charge the card, because that would be crazy, so there were more stops involved to find a place where they could load the money onto the card. But what a lovely card it is.
With efficiency being as scarce as coins here, the fact that the government has taken a step in that direction makes me happy, but that may just be the sugar rush from my pile of candy 'change'.

9 comments:
Too funny! So many countries that my husband has been to, the result is his returning with pockets full of change.. Over a career, which is winding down, I imagine that we could create a really interesting art project out of the bagfuls that have taken over my top dresser drawer! Really fascinating to read about other countries, cultures. Enjoy your blog and added it to my blogroll.. connected to you through Stay Calm and Have a Cosmo and am also a milspouse.
That is really wierd! and a bummer...
Hahahaha! I would TOTALLY and utterly lose my mind. Or start a book of "YOU OWE ME" for the various stores. ;) Its my German blood coming out. Funny thing is, when I was just in Kyiv they also always wanted EXACT change. When I only had big bills, they would simply wave me off and let me walk without having paid the "smaller change" ... maybe you need to start bargaining like that?!
Maybe you could just get rolls of Mentos and pay with those...pay with the whole roll or break down the pieces for change... and you'd always have a delicious snack in your wallet!I would love to see your face when these things are happening... ;)
I think I should send you rolls of the NECO wafers to use as small change. They just added the artificial flavoring back in after removing it for time!
Hallelujah- you are living my life!!!
This totally consumes my daily routine- I can't step out the door without various change combos with which to pay for my fruit purchases and taxi rides. A friend just took her mom to the Dakar airport via taxi, the driver had no change, so she ended up buying 24 eggs at 3am at the airport in order to break the bill and pay the driver. True story!
I'm so glad someone else understands!! :)
oh. my. word.
These comments made me laugh! Ellie, I wish the airports had a machine that would take a huge pile of foreign change and turn it into cash! (or at least trade for something good, like wine).
Tava, good call with the mentos, diplomacy--one fresh mint at a time.
Kim, neccos! Yum!
Megan, I so feel your frustration. This truly drives me flippin' crazy.
Wow! The exchange here doesn't take or give you pennies, and I thought THAT was odd. What do you do if you are diabetic ? ;)
Post a Comment