To grasp the enormity of the glacier, you have to compare it to something large, like the boat in the right corner of the photo.
Sean is never cold, probably because he's carrying an extra 40 lbs around.
Argentina never ceases to amaze me. Even after almost 2 years here, there are still plenty of places that leave us breathless. Sometimes in a good way. Patagonia is yet another delicious slice of awesomeness. At the very south of the country are two small towns, El Calafate & El Chalten. Within both of them is the Parque Nacional los Glaciares.
As our plane landed, the flight attendant announced that the current temperature was 20 degrees. That is pretty darn cold. We lucked out, though, because this time of year is cold, but the infamous Patagonian high winds aren't as prevalent in May, and the sun was shining bright. It warmed up nicely later in the day. Nevertheless, I brought a really ridiculous pair of warm boots along. Totally practical, but ridiculous.
We spent our first day at the Perito Moreno glacier. It is massive and is many beautiful shades of white, gray and blue. While we were there, we got to see a small glacier rupture; part of it collapsed and fell (very loudly) into the water. There were quite a few visitors, but you'd never know it, this is one of the few places I've been where people are completely silent, taking everything in and listening for ruptures. It was good that Teague was with us, you know, because he's so quiet.
We hiked the remainder of the day and then checked into our hotel. I'd like it noted that when booking a 'triple' room in Argentina, you really do get a triple. Three twin beds. It was a lot like summer camp.
All of the lake water is a milky shade of green and is just gorgeous. They said that the unusual coloring is due to sediment.
Horseback riding on glaciers? No, just a cool sign as we drove back into town.

4 comments:
Absolute breathtaking! It appears to be the most common used word in my comments on your blog at this point I think ;). But seriously... that's all I ever think when I see your amazing photos!!!
This is definitely on our list! How amazing!
This is the ONE place I will DEFINITELY go before I die. It has been on my "to travel" list since I was 19 years old. Now I want to go even more!! Gorgeous pictures!
I am shivering just looking at these pictures. What an adventure!
Post a Comment