rel='icon'/> Three Little Baers: The "Leetall" Red Caboose

Thursday, June 14, 2012

The "Leetall" Red Caboose

                              Reading Teague's favorite book, The Little Red Caboose.


This month is "Bring Your Abuela To School" month. Every afternoon, the grandmother(s) of each student stops by and reads the class a book. I love this idea, and think it's pretty incredible (and sort of bizarre for us gypsies) that every single kid lives within walking distance of their grandparents and extended family. In many cases, the families share an apartment with the grandparents. 


Since Teague doesn't have a grandparent living nearby, and since we have literally been begging to volunteer in the school since we arrived, they finally gave in and said that we could read a book in English. We've been so eager to help because the English that Teague is learning isn't the greatest. He regularly comes home with strange variations of English words. The best part?  Stubborn Teague tells us that we're wrong when we try to correct him. You're right, kid, your "eye brills" are above your eyes and you wipe your mouth with a "knapking".


Schools in Argentina are very different than US schools. We pay over $5,000 per year and there is no school library, there are no computers; the kids don't even have desks...and this is one of the better schools in the area. To be honest, public schools in Argentina aren't even an option. Lest you think I'm complaining, we are thrilled that Teague will have had 2 1/2 years of Spanish school immersion with warm and caring teachers. He has made great friends. That portion of his schooling is absolutely priceless. The rest? Not so much.

8 comments:

Nina said...

i cannot stop laughing at this!!!

if it makes you feel any better... connor is convinced he knows nooooo english... it took us WEEKS to finally get him to say at least one sentence whenever someone prompts him to speak English ... "I VANT TO EEEET" ;) at least he won't starve in kindergarten once we're back in the states!!! ;)

Andrea and Ben said...

Bwahahahaha, eye brills! The things that come out of my pre school child's mouth just living in the south are laughable sometimes, I can only imagine the other language influence :-).

Dodgie said...

Gee, I see "knapkin" on the blackboard behind Sean..!

Dodgie said...

Actually, on closer inspection, it IS "knapking" written on the blackboard,and in all Caps. Geez! Just thinking about how it's spelled and pronounced makes my eyebrills go up!

the welches / הוולציס said...

I have had a mental running blogpost on Israeli schools since we got here. I just don't even know where to start. And I don't want to offend the masses or worry the grandparents. I just keep praying that the language immersion is worth the price of all the rest. Will's preschool costs just under $12,000 per year, so it's debatable (and that's just to find the cleanest school without a ratio of 35 three year olds to 2 teachers). And they say "lee-tall" here, too. I think we all need to make disclaimer statements that we send with our children on their first day back in American schools.
Oy. Vah. Voy.

kimeileen said...

Oh Boy ...regular American Kindergarten will be quite the experience!

Jen said...

wow, that is a lot of money for school with out basics like a library or computers.

maybe you will go back to AZ, or move to CA where Teague can wow the kids with his Espanol skills! :)

Our Traveling Circus said...

Thanks for the comment anonymous. I'm curious to know which school(s) your children attend here, and if they have an Argentine curriculum or a European or American curriculum.