Oh yes, it's exactly what you think it is. Cage diving with great white sharks. I really don't have a solid answer as to why people would do this, apparently it's fun to cheat death in freezing cold water. Teague loved the sharks, even though his wetsuit was way too big.
I just wanted to see if you were paying attention. For the record, Teague did not cage dive and neither did I. We watched from the boat. I had every intention of taking photos with my new lens, however, the seas were very rough and I ended up "chumming" the water the entire trip. Awesome. I'm officially swearing off riding in boats in questionable weather.
Sean had a great time and still has all of his limbs. He said the coolest part was getting bubble-washed when the shark's back tail came close to the cage. He also liked watching the sharks swim underneath the cage. The boat operators explained that they used bait (tuna) to bring the shark(s) near the cages. They are one of only a few operations allowed to do this, and the amount of bait that they use is regulated. Cage diving has become fairly controversial in South Africa.
In total, about 5 different sharks came up to check out the bait. That's 5 sharks too many. No, seriously, it was quite the experience. I hope this is the only time we see huge creatures like these a few feet from our boat.
Overhead view of the cage.
Here sharky sharky...
My favorite part of the trip. The land.


1 comment:
Gary had to explain chumming to me . I thought you were throwing out the bait ! You deserve some extra points for it!
Post a Comment