rel='icon'/> Three Little Baers: It Was Kind Of A Big Deal

Friday, November 9, 2012

It Was Kind Of A Big Deal

It's no Arab Spring, but last night, hundreds of thousands of Argentines throughout the country came together to protest the current administration. This banging of pots and pans in protest, called a "cacerolazo", was heavily publicized on social media, and even had a movement nickname, 8N (for November the 8th).

As I've mentioned, annual inflation is at least 25%, crime is at an all time high and the corruption and dollar control has reached Venezuela-like levels. People are finally fed up. Fed up enough to grab pots and pans and bang the heck out of them. 

I've learned so much while living in Argentina, but first and foremost, I think my appreciation for American democracy is at an all-time high. Regardless of political party, we have rights and we have freedom. There are checks and balances, and, for the most part, we feel safe and secure. Sadly, other countries don't operate this way. All of the bickering on Facebook about Romney and Obama seems silly when you see people being ruled by a corrupt government. We are lucky that our Constitution isn't changed by those in power to suit their needs. Our prices of foods and goods don't increase each day. We don't worry about being victims of crime while the police do nothing. The US is far from perfect, but we are truly blessed.

I hope Argentines will know that same feeling one day. Free of corruption and ham-flavored products once and for all.
                         Wave your ladle and grab your frying pans, people.

                                                            When in Rome...



                                  The calm before the pot banging storm.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Craziness. I am glad you guys are safe though. I miss the days of when banging pots and pans was a display of celebration in the US.

Jen said...

what an amazing thing to witness. And a good reminder we are lucky to live in a wonderful country.

Nina said...

i think all americans should be required to live abroad for 6 months prior to any election!!!! :)

Lauren said...

It really puts things in perspective, huh? I am sure it is an amazing thing to witness.

Our Traveling Circus said...

I hope they don't lose momentum after this protest!
Nina, I completely agree! Americans should be required to live abroad before they can vote!

the welches / הוולציס said...

This looks like Tel Aviv did last summer...interesting times. Glad you guys got to be there for that!