rel='icon'/> Three Little Baers: Feels like home

Friday, March 14, 2014

Feels like home

Because Sean's workplace isn't at an actual military base, he has to go to Patrick AFB to complete his annual requirements. Scheduling his visit around a 3-day weekend meant that Teague and I could tag along.

As we drove up to the gate at Patrick, I was a bit emotional--seeing Security Forces guarding the gate and those drab-colored buildings made me smile. Military bases are what I grew up with and what I married into. Having lived away from a base for the past 4 years, the sight of one felt as if I found my long lost blankie!
We have survived just fine without a base, obviously, but I do have a new-found appreciation for all of the conveniences that come with living with one nearby. It truly is it's own little city, with a clinic, a grocery store, a BX, housing and much more. Having them, overseas especially, means we always had a home away from home.

Though our at time at Patrick was brief, it sure was nice to see that AAFES sign again…and the grumpy retirees didn't phase me one bit!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Agreed. I will be very happy to see an Air Force base in particular when we move back to the states ;)

Our Traveling Circus said...

Jen,
Army bases aren't quite as nice, are they? Plus, you will have Target and all of the other good stuff! Getting excited about June yet?!