rel='icon'/> Three Little Baers: We hiked Eagle's Peak and all we got was this lousy view

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

We hiked Eagle's Peak and all we got was this lousy view


                         The pointy chapel down there is where we were married.

What I like most about Colorado is that it's overly outdoorsy and there are so many hiking opportunities. While we're here we intend on taking full advantage. After looking online at hikes, we decided to head nearby, to Eagle's Peak. I disregarded the reviews after reading this one in particular: "if you are expecting a walk in the park then you're going to have a very bad time. It is uphill at least 90% of the way."  
Um, If you think you can hike to the top of a tall peak without going mostly uphill, I've got some ocean-front property in AZ that's a steal.

Anyway, it was a tough hike. The heavy rains have washed away portions of the trail so we spent a lot of time climbing large boulders and not looking down. We also pondered the possibility of a "Naked and Afraid" Colorado episode and the necessity for extra large blurs when scaling rocks. Eventually we started seeing the trail markers and made it to the top.
            Can you spot me? This was the toughest portion, the boulders were huge. 

In between the two major inclines was a gorgeous Aspen grove. I half expected to see Edward from Twilight sparkling in the sunlight. With all of the rain, the trees and grass are vibrant shades of green and the air smelled woody and fantastic. This grove would be the perfect place to hang out for an afternoon with a good book (says the introvert in me).
                                            
Just as we reached the peak, the clouds began rolling in over Pike's Peak and we knew we had to start down to beat the rain. About 10 minutes after we got back to the car, it did begin to rain. 
All in all, great hike! It's a 1,900 foot incline, 3 miles out and back. I definitely recommend bringing water and wearing proper footwear. The hike down requires some caution due to loose gravel portions. I fell a couple of times and grabbed quite a few trees/branches to try and stop myself from sliding on the gravel. Some folks had hiking poles which really would have come in handy. No crowds either, it was quiet and  peaceful.
                                       There's our house...


                                               The peak view from the cadet area. 

We're hoping to check out more mountain hikes this summer. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I am just getting caught up. Love these views, so gorgeous! I am crossing my fingers we end up there sooner than later.