The most frustrating part of my shopping experience has been the checkout lines. No matter what time of day I have been there, the line is always a mile long. Notice I said line. Singular. Even if there are 10 employees near cash registers, not one ever thinks to open a second or third register to thin out the line of customers. Once a customer pays, they fill out delivery paperwork, and after that, they wait for the delivery guy to come over and box up the items to be delivered. Only after all of that does the next person get to put their items on the belt and make their purchases. This process could be so much quicker if the store just anticipated multiple customers. So, I wait, usually close to 45 minutes.
The icing on top of this grocery shopping cake is that priority is given to the elderly, the pregnant and those with children under two. So even when I do finally get to the front of the line, I must step aside if any of those listed happen to have gotten in line behind me. It's almost worth having a child every three years just to get the heck out of the store! The last time I was there, three different older adults (maybe in their 60s) pulled out their 'I'm pretending to be elderly and I'm getting out of here' card just as I was placing my groceries on the belt. I'm not a violent person, but I wanted to sock them all right in the nose. Instead, I bought myself a delicious Cadbury chocolate bar.
Prices are quite a bit more than they are stateside, especially for chicken, turkey or fish. It's about $8 a pound right now for chicken breast. When you can find turkey, it's $10 dollars for a few thin slices. If you like ham, you can live like a king here. Ham rules these parts. They put it on pizza, sandwiches, in empanadas, salads and even raviolis. I am certain I will never eat ham again after our time here. Milk, juice and water are less expensive, and wine is dirt-cheap. Bread, sweets and pastas are very inexpensive (unless they're imports) and cleaning supplies cost less as well.
We find a better fruit & vegetable selection at the outdoor stands, but, after seeing a cat sitting in a box of strawberries at one, I'm more inclined to buy from the grocery store now...and to clean it more thoroughly.
4 comments:
Have you checked out the butcher shops? I remember as a kid meat and lunch meat was never bought at the grocery store. Meat at the butcher shop is so much cheaper, and they cut right there for you and very fresh.
And have you gotten down with the dulce de leche yet?? That stuff is heaven. If you get tired of that there is always something called requeijao. Its delicious on bread. Careful you will get hooked ;)
ohh and the reason the steak sauce is not flying off the shelves is people down south are not that used to condiments. Here there is condiments for everything, there is not common at all to use condiments.
and I got to tell you I am loving your blog. Keep on coming!
So funny to read your post. I keep meaning to bring my camera to the grocery store. It's definitely different here as well. A box of taco shells will cost you about $15. We have the same problem with the lines, but they are usually all open. The checkers eat, talk with their friends, and even leave while checking you out. I understand your need for chocolate =)
I will never complain about the checkout lines (plural) at the local H.E.B in Texas. Here, they are so FAST that you barely can keep up with sackers who seem to be in a race to over load your bags and send you on your way before you even swipe your card!
Post a Comment