Argentines like their sugar and their sweets. A lot. My first indication of this was at breakfast with Mr. Teague. He ordered leche fria (cold milk) and along with the glass, the waitress brought a sugar dish. I considered it a fluke, but noticed that sugar was offered each time we ordered milk, no matter which restaurant we chose. When I asked my tutor about it, she said that children here don't typically drink regular milk, only chocolate milk...and they add sugar to the chocolate milk. I'm pretty sure If I had known about this when I was a kid, I would have lobbied for a trip to Argentina!From what I can tell, the Argentine sugar high begins with breakfast. Their breakfast of choice is medialunas, sweet croissants coated in a sugary glaze. So very tasty! Usually a cup of coffee and a shot glass of orange juice is included as well. The other popular breakfast menu item, ensalata fruita, is a dish of canned fruit cocktail with fruit juice poured over it. Noticing a theme here?
The sugar fest continues after lunch, when they eat the late afternoon snack, alfajores, with their beloved tea, which they call mate. Alfajores are tiny chocolate cakes with dulce de leche filling. Any kiosk in the city sells 8 or 9 different types of alfajors, including an Oreo brand, along with hard candies, cookies and ham flavored crackers. (They also have a love affair with ham, but that's a whole different post!) Alfajores are also given at snack time in preschools and are included in happy meals.
Of course the post-dinner menus don't disappoint. An extensive list of sweets, pastries and delicious ice creams are available for a rumbly tummy. They also offer dessert liquados (milkshakes), but they mix juice rather than milk in them.Finding a balance between trying new things and complete sugar coma has been difficult, especially for Teague, but it wouldn't be fair to not explore the 'sweet life' while we're here. This place is like a sugary candy-coated Vegas for those with a sweet tooth!
3 comments:
I got a suger high just reading this! YUM!
I think I would really love it there!
Breakfast in Italy was like that. I love simple carbohydrates, but after a few days of getting sleepy by 10 am, I wanted some protein!
Oh my mouth is watering. Yep sugar is everywhere. Even today my kids drink chocolate or strawberry milk. I cant drink plain milk and never thought to give them plain milk. Granted its 2% and I only add the nesquik not sugar too, but still. Old habits are hard to die.
Post a Comment