Punta del Este's famous sculpture, the Hand in the Sand.
Our first port was just across the Rio Platt to Montevideo, Uruguay. We were greeted at the port by Olmsteders Doug and Meri who graciously gave up their day to show us around.
Since the city is a bit sleepy and wasn't really happening at 8 in the morning, they took us a few hours away to Punta Del Este. Punta is where all of the South American celebrities and the rich go to vacation. Having watched more than a few House Hunters International episodes featuring Punta, I was excited to see it in person. I was also hoping to run into Shakira.
Great beach. The sand was soft (but hot!) and sugar-like.
Fancy homes along the coast.
The beaches were extremely clean! The absence of stray dogs, a lovely South American trademark, was quite refreshing. After visiting a famous overlook and popular sandy hand landmark, we headed 30 minutes down the road to a restaurant that came highly recommended. At this point, Teague had the biggest meltdown of his little life. What made it infinitely worse was the fact that it was in the back seat of a car. Fantastic. I'm almost positive that Doug and Meri will put off having children for several years after witnessing the Teague poltergeist. Poor Doug drove faster than he'd ever driven, and when we arrived, were all ready for a stiff drink.
Plaza Independencia in Montevideo.
Palacio Legislativo
Their gorgeous theatre.
Once we were back in Montevideo, we were able to visit all of the tourist spots and check out their city Mercado before heading back to the boat. The city is basically Diet Buenos Aires--less people and smaller. The buildings are similar, same architecture but mucho graffiti and trash issues. I was flummoxed by the lack of traffic and surprised to find that, unlike PorteƱos, Uruguayans actually choose a lane and stay in it, rather than straddling two lanes. Now there's a concept!
Next stop--gray clouds, choppy seas and The Falkland Islands.
5 comments:
Sometimes I really think you must be writing about Kyiv (stray dogs, graffiti, trash, no concept of road rules)...then I see the beach...NOT Kyiv!! We are supposed to get up to 32 one day this week! Ha!
So beautiful. In the words of Liz Lemon "I want to got there."
"go there" damn you autocorrect
Where are the photos of the meltdown of a lifetime? He must have been toured out at that point.
Kim, I was too mortified to take a picture. So embarrassing! We had expected to be in the city all day, so I didn't have extra games or toys with me for the 3 hour drive. Bad mommy.
Tara, stay warm! Interesting how alike all of these totally foreign places are.
Post a Comment