
Empanadas are delicious little pockets of goodness that happen to be a specialty food here in Argentina. Each province has a different way of folding them, different ingredients (chicken, beef, ham, spinich, etc) and super secret recipes. They're all handmade from scratch, some with a flaky croissant type crust, and some with a pizza dough-like crust. Delicious in my belly.
Since we arrived, I have been wanting to learn how to make them, but short of asking our favorite empanada shop if a crazy Spanglish speaking Gringo could shadow them for a few hours, I wasn't sure how I could crack the code.
Through a series of random events, I discovered an authentic Argentine cooking class in our area and dragged Sean kicking and screaming with me for a little date night.
We had a great time, and not only learned how to make empanadas, we also made a traditional stew and were taught how to bake the ever popular alfajores--the tasty cookie/dulce de leche sandwich.
The best part was eating the meal after we finished preparing and cooking. ¡Que rico! We were the only Americans, and the other class participants were definitely characters. I think. Eight different nationalities with Spanish as the common language may have created some lost in translation moments. Maybe the Dutch lady isn't really a traveling torso model...
Our teacher showing us the secrets to the Locro stew.
Shortbread alfajores with dulce de leche filling. I made mine a double stuff.
3 comments:
Good for you! Now about Sean kicking and screaming....he must stop that. The dishes look so yummy.
I am licking the screen. Empanadas and anything dulce de leche?? I am in heaven.
Cooking class together sounds like a lot of fun :)
my husband would love you. After he travelled to south america in his young LT years, he craved them and would always look for little shops that made them.
yum!
Post a Comment