rel='icon'/> Three Little Baers: "That's right, ice...man, I AM dangerous."

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"That's right, ice...man, I AM dangerous."






At 18 months old, we arrived at Teague's first swim lesson and the kid immediately jumped into the pool. His instructor told us that we'd need one on one lessons because he was "too fearless". Mortified, I nodded knowingly, because his daddy, at 4, jumped off of a 30 foot tower into a lake.

When we were first dating, I really couldn't decide if Sean's extreme adrenaline junkie-ness was more of an ego thing or a natural instinct. Now that I'm witnessing the fearlessness first-hand with Teague, I see that it's really just ingrained in his genetics. Like Maverick and Goose, he feels the need for speed.

In Bariloche, Teague *just* met the age requirement for ziplining, (4) and after we talked safety with the staff, we were harnessed up and ready to go. The scariest moment I've had to date was watching him zip away with the instructor for the first time. I seriously doubted my parenting skills for more than a few seconds. Teague enjoyed every moment and asked each day if we could go back and zip line again. We tried to go again in Chile, but the minimum age there is 12.

At the tobogon run, Sean initially rode down with Teague, but then Teague talked the ride operator into riding the run by himself. I could have socked the operator! Completely oblivious mom, waiting at the bottom to take pictures, was shocked to see her baby flying down full throttle. Alone. A few seconds later, Sean came down, slightly shaken, because he hadn't expected Teague to go so fast. Score one for Teague...scaring Sean is quite a feat.

I have a feeling that Teague's fearless tendencies will only grow as he does. My goal is to keep him reeled in for as long as possible, and Sean's is to explain all of his broken bones and his near-death skydiving accident to Teague, so that he knows that sometimes extreme sports can be extremely painful.

I won't be waiting and watching Teague's every move with pillows and duct tape, but don't think I won't have them in the car!





Don't worry, only one of them is going commando.


Saying hello to his equally fearless reflection.

6 comments:

Nina said...

Hhahahahaha! I was rolling on the floor! This is just hilarious!!!! I always thought Connor has no sense of fear, but it looks like someone once-upped him ;)

Team Airhart said...

Pillows and duct tape...committed to memory...I'll be armed and ready!

Barby said...

This has been, by far, my FAVORITE blog! Picture #3, Teague going at warp speed, is now one of my all-time favorites. When I casually shared with my co-workers how 4-yr old Teague went happily on the zip line, I got looks of horror all around! Geez! They must have thought I'm the world's most cavalier grandmother, & my daughter must be crazy! I had to do a bit of explaining re: how "Um,well, it's Teague, and he comes by it honestly, by way of his daddy." Finally, Sean got a little shaken by his son's quest to break the sound barrier? SEAN shaken?? That's GOT to be a first; good on, ya, Teaguey Bear!

kimeileen said...

The second picture of Teague racing down the tobaggon run is priceless- you see the uh....intenseness and thrill on his face! The one with him zip lining with the instructor made my heart beat a lttile faster...good luck Mandy!

Ally said...

OMG that is awesome. Loved the post and love the pictures. Teague is brave very brave. I dont have the guts to zip line. I cant believe how happy he looks.

Anonymous said...

I think Saffran would poop in her pants if she saw someone ziplining on television.