rel='icon'/> Three Little Baers: Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Our stops for the next few days were kind of up in the air, due to gas availability in the area. After passing through a town with questionable lodging, the tourist information office recommended some nice cabins outside of town. This actually meant 25 minutes down a dirt road, in a beautiful, quiet area. There was no one staying here, not a person in sight except the caretaker and his dog. He was doing pre-season repairs on most of the cabins, but had one available for us, so we took it. We attempted to swim in the 'pool', but as Teague emerged from the water with a green ring around his mouth, we decided to play a few rounds of Uno instead. The lack of pool filters is a common theme on this trip, btw.
As it got dark, I got a little worried; we had no cell coverage or internet access and weren't able to check in with the Embassy (a debacle I'll share with you another time). Not a single person knew where we were, save the crazy-eyed caretaker.  We finally went to sleep, with the old rickety fan slowly circulating the stale air. At about 3am, we heard the scariest noise a person in the middle of nowhere could hear--the power went out. 

The silence was deafening. I know I've seen a horror movie or two that starts out this way.

For a full 5 minutes, I wholeheartedly thought that we were going to be murdered in our tiny little hot box of a cabin. Sean was completely silent, too, which was a huge indicator that something was definitely wrong. I quietly plotted my 'kill the crazy-eyed guy' plan--our balcony had large metal grill on it, and I would drop it on his head. Turns out, Sean was thinking the exact same thing. (It's that creepy married people mind-melding). 
Obviously we weren't attacked by Freddy Krueger, and we had a nice laugh about it the next morning at breakfast, but my take home lesson is this: always stop in Paraguay for a few hand grenades, and never ever leave home without a flashlight.



6 comments:

Nina said...

wow! I just had a heart attack READING this!!! Not sure I would have been able to ever go back to sleep ... (Maybe I really need to stop watching Dexter... ;)) I think it;s about time you find the closest luxury resort for some R&R! ;)

Nina said...

....and clean pools!!!

kimeileen said...

I think you deserve a spa day or a nice shiny trinket for living through this!

Our Traveling Circus said...

Ha ha, it was quite an adventure! We did stay at some really nice places (with real pools!) once we got to bigger cities!

Jen said...

OMG, how scary! It does make for a cool story, though

Dodgie said...

I agree with Kimeileen. You're more than a good sport: you deserve combat pay for some of the "adventures" and unpaved roads. You sure set the "wife" bar high!