rel='icon'/> Three Little Baers: Walk This Way

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Walk This Way


One of my favorite things about living right in the city is that a car is not necessary. Everything we need is within walking distance. The truth is, we only drive our car about once a month, when we're doing things outside the city or feel like taking our lives in our hands. Within a 2 block radius, we can get our groceries at 2 stores, walk Teague to school, take tango lessons, eat at 8 restaurants and get a haircut at 6 salons. I don't think there will ever be another time when we will be able to walk a block to get to the zoo, the police station and a famous museum.


We are so used to walking that when we visited the US in February, each time we'd get ready to go someplace, Teague would ask how many blocks away it was.

I know when I'm sitting in traffic stateside, I"ll be happy to be reading signs in English and will love to listen American radio stations again, but I will sure miss Teague's short  walk to school and our grocery store around the corner!
    On his way to school. His awkward stance is because I was interrupting his "don't step on any lines" game.

                           We're so close to the zoo that we hear the lions roar from our balcony.


    The Japanese Gardens are close by, too. We probably give directions to this place at least twice a day. 

3 comments:

Nina said...

I will miss the exact same thing and have had realtors in a frenzy these last couple weeks when I request that I want to live within walking distance to XYZ and don't forget ABC when we return to the states! ;) the worst part about the driving isn't even the driving itself though, but the GETTING EVERYONE INTO the car!!! sigh....(I shouldn't have to mention we're jealous of you guys about living next to lions and elephants, right??? ;))

Dodgie said...

Hey, I didn't notice any steaming dog poop on the sidewalk...SHOCK! Looks different since my visit last year!

Andrea and Ben said...

That would be such a nice way to live. Walking everywhere. If only florida would grasp onto the concept of sidewalks I would be set :-)