rel='icon'/> Three Little Baers: Two Worlds Collide

Monday, October 15, 2012

Two Worlds Collide

Little known fact: I was born in Germany. Another little known fact: A large population of Germans reside in tiny villages around the Argentine city of Cordoba. 
While I don't claim German heritage (I failed the citizenship test for not wearing black socks with my sandals), I did enjoy living there and was giddy at the thought of a proper German Fest within this land of not quite right. The town of Villa General Belgrano hosts an annual Oktoberfest, complete with silly costumes and a beer tent, and luckily, we were stopping through on the final weekend. I was able to put the craptastic apartment out of my mind and focus on the important things, like pretzels and polka music.
                           They had gut bier, and for the adventurous, the nicht gut. 

The only disappointment was the food. It was Argentine fare; not a schnitzel or sauerkraut to be had. I had hoped to score some tasty Haribo snacks, but no dice.
Still, the fest was well-worth the dirt roads that we traveled. It was nice to feel like we
were in Germany again, if only for a few hours.
German words mixed with Spanish. Odd. The rain made it even more like Germany.

Crazy kids and their crazy bier bike. How do we know this isn't Germany? Stray dogs. Everywhere.


 That's not a man bag, it's his cross-body beer mug. And check out the child mime in the background. 


4 comments:

Jen said...

Awesome! I would be happy to ship you some Haribos if you want, or kindereggs :)

Our Traveling Circus said...

OMG, Jen, that's so nice of you. I may take you up on it at some point! :)

Dodgie said...

So fun to see the photos of "diminuto Germany!" My faves are Sean with the child mime photo-bomb, and Teague, hands on hips, inspecting the little fountain.

Dodgie said...

P.S. I'll really miss your awesome blogs, but I'll be SO HAPPY when you 3 are stateside again. :)