Sean and I just returned from a whirlwind house hunting trip to Miami. Aside from the airport, neither of us had ever been to Miami. With tv shows like CSI and Dexter filmed there, we weren't sure what to expect. Certainly a lot of gory crime scenes. I'm pretty bummed that we didn't get to see Horatio Caine in person, but I heard that he has a store in Miami. Selling sunglasses, hopefully.
Since this particular assignment isn't associated with a regular military base (it's only one building with a few assigned military) we were kind of on our own to find an area to live. For the first time in 7 moves, we were assigned a sponsor. In typical military fashion, we were assigned the person least likely to have anything in common with us--he's a single 0-6 living in South Beach with no idea about schools or family options. He is also the only one in the office who lives in the beach area, and when he recommended it, I scoffed and blew it off. However, we booked a hotel just north of South Beach, and while staying there, absolutely fell in love with the area. He was right and I feel like a jerk! The tiny town north of South Beach is adorable, and, as it turns out, they have great schools and a small residential area with lots of families. There's an old fashioned main street, groceries and shopping within walking distance and homes are all 1940s renovated bungalows located a block or two from the beach. What's not to love?
While it sounds great on paper, it does mean we'll be downsizing to a ridiculously priced 1500 sq foot 2 bedroom place with no closet space, but who knows if we'll ever have the opportunity to live at the beach again. We've got plenty of time to live in the 'burbs at another assignment.
In a few short days, we'll visit more family and then start our Griswold Family Roadtrip from Colorado to Miami. In a Jeep Wrangler. Heaven help us.


5 comments:
Hah! We did the same.. downsize that is! I sold a BUNCH of our furniture and THINGS and we have lived happily ever after!!! Americans truly own too much non-needed things!!! PLUS, cleaning will be a breeze in a 1500 square feet home!!! :) more time for the beach! :) Once yu guys are settled in we need to catch up on the phone... and start planning ;)
OOh, Can't wait to see some pictures of the new place! I always love hearing other people's reasons for picking style/location of houses at new assignments. I think it helps me decide for our next move, ha!
I love love South Beach. Such a good mix of so many different cuisine and crazy people. I hope you love this assignment!!!!
Were you looking around 42nd st? Ben used to live down there in college on 47th st.
The nearly- 3 weeks having you here went by 'WAY too quickly!! Thank you for entrusting me with your most priceless treasure, Sr. Teague, while you & Sean looked for a home in Miami. We had a blast watching Jake & the Pirates, baking Toll House cookies, & Teague consistently kicking my buns at "Chutes & Ladders" (and I really tried NOT to let him win)! What a great visit with you 3, how wonderful it was to have you here, & celebrate an early Christmas with that scrawny tree I decorated, a wonderful Argentine wine hand-carried by Sean to enjoy on our own "Christmas Eve", and of course watching "Teaguey 2012" as Teague calls this year's award-worthy dvd. I was glad to hear you've arrived safely in CO. Have a wonderful visit with ALL the family members and in-laws there! This AZ "outlaw" sends muchos besos and wishes you a Feliz Navidad. I'm looking forward to your new, Miami blog in 2013. xo xo xo
Post a Comment