rel='icon'/> Three Little Baers: Buenos Aires, mi corazón

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Buenos Aires, mi corazón

People have a romantic notion about living overseas, that it's one big non-stop fun vacation. They probably think that we spent our days learning the tango and strolling through the city markets without a care in the world. The truth is, living in a foreign country isn't for the weak. People don't always embrace foreigners, and surprise, not everyone likes Americans or what America stands for. Living abroad is not the same as a brief trip to an overseas location where people visit the clean safe touristy areas and get by with a handful of phrases from high school language class. It's living their culture, speaking their language and doing things their way all day every day.

 
Despite some frustrating days, Buenos Aires is the best thing that ever happened to us. Living in South America changed our lives forever, and we'll be eternally grateful to the Olmsted Foundation for the incredible opportunity. We made a promise to ourselves at the beginning that we'd live these 2.5 years to the absolute fullest in an attempt to show the Foundation our gratitude.  I hope we made them proud!

 We'll forever be wonder-struck by you, Buenos Aires.

 


  
 
 Mark Twain said these words, which are so fitting for our Olmsted experience:

  Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth.  

Gracias por todo. Argentina estará con nosotros para siempre.
 

6 comments:

Karen said...

Great post! Safe travels. :) I love that Mark Twain quote, btw...I think I'm going to write about it!

Jen said...

Awesome quote! It's so true about living overseas. Difficult at times, but wonderful. I bet you are leaving there a bit sad.

Dodgie said...

The Olmstead Foundation sure got it right when they chose my always- amazing son-in-law. You, Sean & Teague (who sounds like a native Porteno)have lived up to the standards and ideals it sets as no doubt very few others have done. As your mom, I'd like to say how proud of you I am; your near-daily blogs have been articulate and informative, often hilarious, always thought-provoking, and heartfelt. Your photography accompanying the stories has been wonderful. Through-out so many of your travels, including zip-line thrills at warp speed; a cruise in the middle of a hurricane as the ship was rounding Cape Horn; a rural bus ride with threats of bandito hold-ups at gun point; sodden, wave-tossed boat rides causing Dramamine-resistant, violent seasickness; uber-bumpy sight-seeing trips in tiny airplanes causing violent, Dramamine- resistant airsickness; you've been a champ, and a very, very good sport. Between adventures, you've handled the often-frustrating day-to-day living in a foreign country, without benefit of commissaries, BX's, and so many other things military wives so often take for granted. You've raised your son, supported Sean, and been, literally, a beautiful representative of our country. Few wives could have done as well; none could have done better. I'm SO proud of you, honey! xo

Mandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa R. said...

Well said, Mandy! I enjoy your blog and how you write!
Safe travels and Happy Holidays!

kimeileen said...

Your Mom really summed it up perfectly. Looking forward so much to seeing you after Christmas!