I learned that little jingle in the Brownies. I was a fair-weather Brownie, I joined only because I really wanted the shirt that said "Here Comes A Brownie" on the front and "There Goes A Brownie" on the back. I decided all too soon that those chicas weren't for me, after returning from an overnight camping trip without my Hello Kitty lunch bag. Little Brownie hoodlums.
One of the blessings and curses associated with the military is the opportunity to make new friends and to say many sad goodbyes to old friends. In small squadron communities like Sean's, we meet up with many of the same families at each assignment. It's wonderful to have that continuity and to reconnect with old friends despite so many location changes. It sounds cliche, but it is really one big family; everyone is either friends or friends of friends. You simply plug into the group when you arrive, and it's just like old times. Plus an extra kid or three.
This will be the second assignment where we're without a squadron community, and, to be honest, going it alone is hard! Making friends again is sort of like dating. I wasn't so great at dating when I was young, and I wince at the thought of dating again at this age. People in this area have been here for years. I get the feeling that people who put down roots and live in the same place forever aren't really looking to make new pals, they're happy with the friends that they have, so it seems twice as hard.
I'm doing all of the normal getting involved basics-- joining a church, meeting the neighbors, talking to anyone who looks like they will listen. I have also checked out some of the groups on meetup.com, but I'm without a car or furniture, so I hesitate to host anything in our empty house. Air mattresses and makeshift furniture are fairly common when you're waiting for overseas shipments to arrive, but it still seems like a strange first impression, right?
Yesterday, a girl was riding her bike near where I was running and she fell over. My first instinct was to ask her if she was ok, and to help her get up, but then I noticed she was similiar in age to me and I went into slimeball dating guy mode, wondering if I should ask for her number. And maybe do the partial-stretch-to-arm-around-the-shoulder move.
Like dating, it's all about being in the right place at the right time. Because Teague is riding the bus, and I have no car, I cannot stalk the moms at the school (yet!) but I have tried to seek out places, such as the community center where I can run into ladies to befriend. I also spend a lot of time in the kid section of the local grocery store.
Friendship is the first step to feeling settled, and to getting the low down on all of the critical questions that a new gal would have about the area, like: Where can I get good highlights? Who babysits? & Why are there so many side panel vans in this neighborhood?
As I'm navigating this new community, I'm keeping in mind that, like dating, it's when you least expect to meet someone that you do. The next time I'm having a lengthy conversation with the elderly lady across the street, I will ask her if she knows of anyone that she can set me up with. You never know...
Thursday, January 31, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
we should talk! going from squadrons to a carrier sucks just as much!!! except my "trying" mode wore off after 2 weeks and i am now (8 months later) still in sulking mode :/ blah!
I am a bit jealous you have squadron stuff. Jason doesn't have that, so it's just like a civilan office. He has always worked with a mix of AD and civilians, which is great, but hard to make connections.
You sound so kind and sweet. I would totally bring baked goods to your air mattress house and we could hang out. Or wine. Whatever.
Good luck settling in. Just when I think I am getting so good at moving all the time, I realize it's still really hard.
LOL, I know exactly what you mean about feeling like you're dating. I am inviting a french exchange girl over next week. And I am already nervous about it. Like,"What kind of coffee should we have? They don't drink creamer, so maybe I should introduce it to her? Or maybe she won't like it? Oh no! Should I cook some muffins? Maybe just some fruit?" I feel like it's hard enough for me to make friends just making the transition to the Test world (where there are no a10 people!) I don't 'run into' any friends anymore in this world. But I can't imagine how hard it would be in your shoes. I hope you find your person, or at least A person, soon! I am sure you will. You are so nice, who wouldn't want to be friends with you!?
I feel for you Mandy. I think it's not having your car that is the big hold up in getting you out in circulation. I'm sure there is some kind of moms group at your church that you can check out once you can get there. Is there a local YMCA - they usually have lots of family activities. Once your furnishings come, you'll be busy setting it all up, but you are right, making new friends will certainly help in feeling connected to the area. Here,there is a newcomers club that gets you familiar with everything and you meet other "newbies".
I was a Brownie too! I chose not transition to Juniors because I thought the green uniforms were dorky. By the time I was in the 4th grade, I was more about looking cool than sisterhood of the traveling pants.
Moving to a place without the built-in community of a squadron/battalion/etc... can be difficult. The times I've experienced this, I've found that I felt like I was wedging my way in to an existing group, with most of them knowing each other for years. That is tough.
Have you thought about holding a cardboard sign in the middle of a busy intersection?
I will totally be your friend! :)
Nina--Yes! I feel your pain. Have a great time in Germany!
Jen--I'm sorry that you've never had that squadron connection, it makes moving so much easier! Maybe we'll be at the same base at some point--would love to share some wine with you!
Lauren--how'd your date go with the french girl? Did you wear a baret?! It's too bad there aren't more A-10 folks where you are. That stinks!
Kim--I can't wait to have the car! I should google newcomers and see if there's anything like that here.
Karen--Good thing the Girl Scouts have cookies, because their uniforms are hideous! :) Cardboard sign is a great idea. I know the perfect intersection!
I still remember the day we "met" like it was yesterday. At least we were both new, so it made it easier I think. Now that we're older, it's JUST like dating! It's tough unless Teague has a new friend to have a playdate with (with mom in tow), but hopefully it won't be long before you meet some nice people.
What sometimes makes it easier is looking for an online Mommy group to eventually meet up with (you know, in a public location to weed out any serial killers...). Some of my closest friends I met online over 8 years ago while planning our weddings. You're such a sweet person and so funny, I'm sure people will see that in you very soon. Best of luck in your new home!! XOXO
Denise, it was destiny! :) So glad I ran into you in the science wing, my friend. You made high school infinitely better!!
Post a Comment