Can't you picture a little row boat and a romantic Nicholas Sparks quote here?
We live roughly 30 minutes from the Everglades and after seeing photos like the whimsical lily pads above, I couldn't wait to see the area. That is, until I heard about the "Python Challenge".
That's right, the state of Florida has an actual contest offering hefty sums for those capturing the largest Burmese pythons from the Everglades. Apparently more than a few python pet owners were overwhelmed at the full-grown size of their "pet" and released them into the area. Over time, they have created a huge problem--with no natural enemies, they have decimated the Everglades animal population. So along with gators, there are also unusually large pythons. Count this hopeless romantic in.
We arrived at Gator Park and hopped on an airboat. The tour took us through the canals filled with lily pads, which would have seemed very romantic and Nicholas Sparks/The Notebook-ish if we weren't wearing earplugs and riding with 15 others in a loud air boat. The canals led into a large open space, which houses birds, otters and even jaguars. We were happy to spot alligators and enjoy the fresh air. One of us was even brave (dumb?) enough to get into the water. I did what every overly concerned wife does, I angrily refused to take pictures, but then did anyway.
We're bound to have a visitor or two, so scoping out area attractions has been a fun way to get to know the neighbors. Hopefully those creatures stay 30 minutes away!
The stars of the airboat tour. This one was sunning itself a few feet away.
My boy is wicked smart.
Blue heron sighting.
There were lots of baby alligators, like this tiny 3 month old.
Teague checking out the some of the birds. He no longer allows photos.
The airboat.


3 comments:
In college, Clay and I took a couple of vacations to the Everglades (we even got engaged there!). If you get a chance, take a Swamp Buggy tour...I bet Teague would love it!
I'm happy to see that Sean still has all his limbs. Doesn't he see those You Tube videos of dummies feeding the crocodiles and getting their arm bit off? Tell Teague he must smile for the camera!
Karen, I would love to hear your engagement story! Very cool that it was in the Everglades. Sounds like a Swamp Buggy tour is in our future!
Kim, we watched a show called Gator Boys after visiting the Everglades, and now we're all scared to go near canals or lakes! :)
Post a Comment