Nearby Homestead recently hosted a DARPA Robotics Challenge, and we weren't going to miss it. Unlike most Miami events, this one started on time and wasn't crowded! I must say the robotics community is one of the most spellbound crowds I've ever encountered. There was even a grandstand, where people watched for what seemed like hours as a robot attempted to pick up a plank of wood. I am no robot expert, but after viewing these challenges, it doesn't seem like that much progress has been made since Johnny 5 made his debut in the 80s flick "Short Circuit".
But seriously, the robotics that were on display were pretty impressive, especially the snake-inspired robot which could twist and turn into small spaces. We even got to see the Google van! There were also lots of booths with hands-on activities for the kids, and we practically had to tear Teague away from the remote controlled robots.
This particular robotics group had it's own cheering section.
Shaking hands with a true metal head.
Miami-Dade's Hazmat unit challenged them to remove dangerous "chemicals".

1 comment:
I love the shades on Teague!
Post a Comment