This year has been a busy TDY year for Sean. Since January, he has been out of the country about 5 times, to places throughout Central & South America. In addition, he has spent significant time in several US locations. It's usually a few weeks here and there. No biggie. I look at it as a chance to hog all of the covers, to binge-watch Netflix and to consider the purchase of one of those handy "Boyfriend's Arm" pillows. In case you're wondering, a hairy chest version doesn't exist, sadly.
Sean recently came home after a month TDY in a remote area of Peru. When I say remote, I mean kitchen-floor-full-of-live-guinea-pigs-that-later-become-dinner remote. Only a little less disturbing was the lack of wi-fi or internet, which left us unable to communicate often. Though several attempts were made, we were actually only able to speak on the phone one time. But he was safe and not in a combat zone, so I can't really complain.
I had almost forgotten that Sean's job wasn't normal. However, in our very civilian community where neighbors tend to live a few houses down from their entire extended family, people were downright horrified that the 3 of us are here without any family and that Sean was away for a month! Having never spent time away from their significant others, my friends were quite concerned and sympathetic. This was a big deal. At first I felt kind of embarrassed, because a month away is nothing in the military world, but I have to admit, it was really nice to be so embraced! One friend told me that if it were her, she would set up a spa week for herself when her husband returned. If only it were that easy.
Teague and I enjoyed some fun adventures together, but we are happy to have Sean home. That he returned without altitude sickness or any of Peru's common stomach ailments is an added bonus!
Tuesday, September 16, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Did he have some chicha and lomo saltado with those guinea pigs?! Eeeeeekkkk!
Right. Because when they come home, they are just hanging around for a week, so you can go to the spa. Alone ;)
It is nice to have people be supportive. So often, I think we feel like it's normal when we just talk to other military families, but it's really not.
Sorry you have had to fly solo so much. It's harder for me now that Nolan is older, he asks "where's Daddy" all day.
Trysta, what's sad is that he had "cuyo" on more than one occasion. Yuck.
Jen, right? As if they have days and days of leave after TDYs...It is tough when they finally reach that age where they miss daddy. I hope Nolan's not without him too often!
Post a Comment