I had a parent-teacher conference with Teague's teacher last week and she told me about a conversation she had with him. She said she had asked Teague if mommy goes to work and Teague's reply was this, "My mom's job is to take care of me." Yes, it's true, I am the resident progeny protector at la casa de la Traveling Circus, and am quite proud of that title.
A few days after the meeting was his school's Open House. It was a lot like most Open Houses; crowds of parents, teeny tiny desks and chairs and a stack of paperwork. One of our forms had pre-printed information including our contact numbers, addresses and our places of employment. Apparently the school believes I work at a place called "HOUSEWIFE". Sigh. What about stay at home fathers or work at home parents? When a male's place of employment (paycheck or no paycheck) is the home, I guarantee that their contact sheet doesn't list them as "househusband."
Semantic arguments aside, seeing this in capitalized typed print somewhat annoyed me. Instead of "N/A" or "home", a stay at home mom is labeled "housewife". June Cleaver I am not. An outdated term like that needs to stay in the 50s, with finishing schools and white gloves!

4 comments:
OMG, I agree. I had the same problem being called a "trailing spouse" on expat assignment. Yep, that's me, bringin' up the rear, pickin' up the crumbs, no one important here.
I am having the same {kind of depressing] experience. :(
That is so cute that Teague said your job is to take care of him!
You should put down something like artist in residence. Or perpetual student, Chief cook and bottle washer...it will have them wondering....
Uber, the term trailing spouse is so insulting! As if the spouse is just some lemming following behind. Yuck!
Karen, I feel your pain!! It gets depressing after a while.
Kim, I think taxi driver is most suitable these days! That's all seem to do! :)
Post a Comment