rel='icon'/> Three Little Baers: Adjusting

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Adjusting


We went out to dinner the other night and all at once it sort of hit me, we're not just visiting. We live here now. I have to admit, the first 10 days or so weren't ideal, with single digit temps, snow and dark, cloudy skies. (Poor New Englanders, I don't know how you endured this all winter). The great thing about Colorado is that the snow typically doesn't stick around. The sun shines, "they" say, about 300 days a year. I hope this is true.

Teague's school is great and we love the community we're living in. I had never heard of a master planned community before coming here. Apparently they design  neighborhoods specifically with families in mind and include cool things like trail systems, community centers, playgrounds and dog parks. It's lovely and I fear I'm now spoiled.

What I've noticed the most since arriving is that people are friendly. They smile at each other. Clerks and cashiers are helpful. People hold doors for others. Polite is the norm. After Miami, it all seems just a little bit like the movie Pleasantville out here. 
But I like it...I like it a lot.
Aside from adjusting to the colder temps and driving in snow, post-Miami everything comes across as really conservative. Take the local traffic anchor, for example. Compare Colorado's sensible older fellow and Miami's young, full-screen style queen. 
                             
With or without warmer temps, Miami gals wear a lot less and it's typically flashy. High heels and clouds of perfume are involved. Here, the typical woman's staple is a fleece jacket, jeans and sneakers. Especially when it's cold, I'm a big fan of comfort. I am more than happy to step into the world of uber casual. (As long as, at some point, flip flops are involved).

Things here are not lush and green, and I certainly miss the ocean and the palm trees.
However, wherever this guy is, the views are going to be just right.



2 comments:

Kimeileen said...

Just got caught up on your last few installments. For some reason I thought you'd be too busy to update your blog. it was great to see the birthday pics and of your new neighborhood. It sounds like the way they planned The Woodlands.

Jen said...

It sounds lovely. I am sure it's a huge shock to the system, but I am glad you are in a nice area surrounded by happy people! :)