There are so many great hikes here, it would be wrong not to partake. This is the first time we brought Kona with us and she loved the hiking but, surprisingly, wasn't a fan of the lake. Stanley Trail is a 4 mile trek through Pike National Forest. At the beginning there were several portions with steep sides and slippery gravel but the trail was well marked.
Once over the north side of the canyon, there's a beautiful flat meadow full of wild flowers, including Colorado's columbines.
One thing we've learned when hiking is to bring lots of water along. It sounds silly, but it seems like we never have enough. On our first hike with Teague, we brought two camel packs, Sean had one and I figured Teague and I could share the other...bad idea. It definitely wasn't enough for the both of us. Bring what you think you'll need, and then add more. Since the hike is a bit difficult and you really need both hands to climb, picnic baskets and any excess stuff is no bueno. I have started squirreling granola bars and pieces of candy in pockets, they're great for that energy burst needed when hiking back down.
The reservoir itself was really nice and apparently has lots of rainbow trout swimming about but the water is ice cold! Even on a hot sunny day after a difficult hike, it was a stretch to get in. I think this is why Kona simultaneously jumped in and out.
The best part about these hikes has been the electronics-free aspect. It is so freeing to unplug from work calls, texts and video games.
Teague's vulcan mind meld attempt plus Sean and Kona.




1 comment:
Beautiful lake! Looks like a great hike and I agree about being unplugged for a day!
Post a Comment