With this move, we also had to complete a strange process in which an Argentine official came out to our apartment and individually photographed and logged every single piece of art that we own. They aren't rare Picasso pieces, mind you, but Argentina wants to be certain that no one takes any great Argentine artwork out of the country. Because Argentine art is so well known. The official was particularly worried about a monkey-themed print that I purchased at Target for about 10 bucks. It kind of looks like an oil painting and is signed, but there's a huge "Made In China" sticker on the back. Still, he proceeded to take no less than 3 different photos of it. At this point, I no longer ask why.
This photo opportunity was just too good to pass up.
As they were loading the car, the private elementary school across from us had a line of cars with parents picking up their kids for lunch. There are two college-aged guys who are always milling around outside, always dressed like the secret service, with little earbuds. Today, one had a microphone. The emcee-looking one was announcing the arrival of each parent, like they were British royalty or something. With an actual microphone. How have I lived here for over two years and never noticed this?
The microphone man himself. I wanted to request a song.
We're not out of here quite yet, there's still a very anxiously awaited school concert this Thursday night. Since school is ending for the summer here, they're also doing the Kindergarten graduation after the concert. I would be a sobbing mess, except that Teague will still be in Kindergarten when he's stateside. The school year in Argentina runs March-November, so instead of having a nice long Summer break now, the kid will go straight back to Kindergarten in the US, until the North American school year ends in May.
Concert details to follow!
2 comments:
I don't know how you survived the art inspection without cracking up the whole time!
I wish you a smooth PCS from here on out!
We know those games! And you're right, there's always a hitch. I have to calm my inner rage when someone non-military says, "Oh, they come and pack it all up for you!? That's so easy."
Now, the art inspections sounds extra fun. Eat some Chipotle for us stateside and enjoy a nice, cold (maybe) Christmas.
Post a Comment