Sean and I were at Randolph Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas. He was getting ready to leave for work when we watched the horrific events unfold on tv. I will never forget those images or that day.
While we were in New York City, we visited Ground Zero and the 9-11 Memorial. It is a moving experience, and an exceptional memorial site. This was the first time that we had really discussed 9-11 with Teague, and he, of course, had a lot of questions. He was most curious about the Survivor Tree and was so intrigued that this single tree, discovered in the rubble, had survived. Kids seem to have a knack for finding the good in everything. Even in sadness, they always find hope.
My hope is that Teague never has to experience an event like this one during his lifetime.
Photos and notes left at Ground Zero.
Teague & Sean at the Survivor Tree.
The new tower.



4 comments:
I was at work. In Boston. My Mom called me from her work and told me what had happened. We turned on the TV and saw the second plane hit live. My co workers were going home, trying to call family in NY but could not get through.
I was one of just a few people that stayed the whole work day. I remember hitting "refresh" on news sites and getting nothing. I stayed because I lived alone in a studio apt and didn't want to be alone. Such a terrible day.
I will say, seeing the new tower (I feel terrible saying I have never been to the memorial site) feels wrong. I don't know if it's the right choice.
Jen, thank you for sharing your memories. How awful for your coworkers, and for you. It was such a terrible day!
I had just finished the last week of work at my job in OK and was in TX with Sean for a couple of weeks before our move to AZ. I remember sitting on the edge of our hotel bed and just weeping after Sean left for work. I watched the same tv footage hour after hour, hoping for better news.
We left the base the next day for dinner and when we returned, camouflaged lookouts had been built right by the front gate. They were manned with soldiers who were behind huge machine guns. I remember being so scared by that show of force.
I was in Washington DC. Getting evacuated almost immediately after seeing the footage. Such a scary time! it still sends chills down my spine when i think about not getting a hold of my dad who was on a plane that day or getting a chance to talk to my family. OR even worse, thinking of all my friends who actually lost a loved one in the pentagon or the world trade center (i somehow know too many that were tragically involved). thanks for sharing the pictures. i stopped by the memorial 4 years ago, when it wasn't completed yet, and it just overwhelmed me. it's nice to force myself to look at it again.
Your photos are great. We plan on visiting the memorial site and now I understand that the museum will not be opened till next year.
I like how Teague was able to find the hope in the situation.
Post a Comment