A weekend in Marco Island is the perfect getaway to not talk about assignments. It's on the West coast of Florida, a two hour drive from Miami. This time of year is just between summer tourist season and winter "Snowbird" (also know as "Q-Tip") season so there were no crowds and it was super low key. We're sort of used battling Christmas shopping-like crowds almost everywhere in Miami so the calm and quiet was much appreciated. The fact that our car could sit at a just-changed green traffic light for more than a millisecond without a bunch of cars honking behind us blew our minds. "People don't honk here?"
No honking, no people, just shells and birds:
Tigertail Beach is gorgeous and gigantic with warm Gulf waters. There's also a tidal lagoon which happens to be part of Florida's Birding Trail and has kayaking and paddle boarding. I wish I knew more about birds, because we saw so many crane-like beauties.
We spent a morning at Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary to see animals indigenous to the area. No Florida Panthers were spotted while we were there, and we didn't harass any wildlife either. There were many birders along the route with large cameras and binoculars who were kind enough to point out some of the highlights.
Teague did re-home a few hundred fuzzy caterpillars.
4 comments:
So what did you think of the book, are you going to see the movie ? I heard they changed the ending.
Nice get away!
Kim, I liked the book, but the ending wasn't great. Glad to hear that they're changing it for the movie.
It looks beautiful there...I always seem so torn between land-locked AZ's deserts, and FL's coastal waters. I must have a little sand in my shoes, like Pop-Pop! The bird in the photo just below Sean and Teague as you scroll down is, I think, a spoonbill. They're pretty, and have that unusually-shaped bill. I've never seen one except in photos. Very neat you got to photograph it!!
Post a Comment